Happy New Year!! Happy New DT!! First month of the new DT and our theme....ICE. Ok, I live in Florida, the only ICE I see on a regular basis is in a glass keeping my "adult beverage" cold! But the family was luckily enough to venture to the not-so-frozen north for Thanksgiving this past year. We took a day trip into the city. Along with seeing Central Park, FAO Schwartz, The Plaza and later that evening the 9-11 memorial, we were able to ice skate at Rockefeller Center! How exciting! Checking it off the bucket list!
To start my project I had to gather my supplies and tools! These will all play a very important role though the process.....you'll see!
First thing I did was cut the embellishments (snowflakes) and embellish them with some stickles and buttons which I stuck on with glossy accents. This was the first time using the glossy accents to stick on the buttons, but I really like how it squirted up through the button holes and fill them in. I'm always thinking I need to put string in there or it looks naked.....but the glossy accents filling up the holes did the trick. Once the glossy accents and stickles were dry I could ink the edges with the TH Walnut Stain. But with all those little nooks and crannies it made it difficult to get in there so I grabbed some mini-pom poms that I've had forever and used with the chalk that we all have had at one time or another! I did splurge for the stick with the hemostats on the end for the pom poms and glad I did! Ink em up and just run it along the edges. I had to squish it in the tight corners.
Next I needed to add some depth, I cut three snowflakes. 2 at 3" and 1 at 5". The 5" one is the bottom/base. Next I used pop dots (little foam squares) to give them some dimension. I used two layers of foam. Since the snowflakes were so narrow, I had to cut the squares in 1/2 and sometimes in 1/4 to get them to not be seen.
On to the swirl. This is from a stamp set. I used SU White ink, let it dry then added stickles and a little bit of bling in just the right spots. I love to follow lines either in patterns on paper or with a stamped image!
Next came my favorite part.....the eyelash fiber and the charm! This is my first time doing this on a layout! I just made a tag with a couple charms tied to the fiber and I liked how that turned out, so why not give it a whirl! There are no mistakes in scrapbooking.....only new discoveries! I've had this fiber in my possession probably since I started scrapbooking! Goes to prove....NEVER THROW AWAY ANYTHING!! Wrapped it around the cardstock a few times. Opened up two jump rings (purchased in the jewelry aisle at local craft store).....one for the charm and another to wrap around all the fibers. Remembering I had this tool kit (also from the very beginning of time when we used to pound eyelets with a hammer) and that it contained needle nose pliers! Just the tool I needed! Opened the jump ring for the charm, slid it on, closed the ring. Moved on to the ring for the fibers, opened it up, wrapped it around the fibers, slid the charm on there and closed it back up. Piece of cake!
I love how it turned out! I used supplies and tools that I honestly forgot about and tried a new thing with the jump ring and charm! Don't worry about trying new things, it's fun and educational!! Have fun and keep scrapping those memories!