Saturday, July 6, 2024

**July 2024 Friends of Unity Blog Hop - Technique**


 Welcome to my very first post as a Friends of Unity Team Member! I am so excited to be here! This month of July is all about technique! I have learned so many cool and clever techniques over the years, it was hard to pick my absolute favorite! 

I hope to share some fun techniques and have some amazing cards when I'm finished!

One of my favorite techniques is ink smooshing. If you look back at some of my previous projects, you will see lots and lots of ink smooshing! It's a great way to create a unique background!  

I start with a piece of 65# white cardstock (can be 65# could be 110# could be watercolor paper) and an acetate sheet! Smoosh your ink onto the acetate then spritz with some water. Carefully flip it over your cardstock and gently pounce the watered down ink colors! I suggest some drying time in between colors! A heat tool will speed up the process! 


After I created the amazing panels shown above, I stamped the ...inked florals Background Stamp using versamark and white embossing powder on the first one...versafine clair and clear embossing powder on the other. I die cut both panels with the largest scallop and rectangle die and chose some ribbon. The word "hello" die cut was cut from a dark purple cardstock (and also in black on the second card), then I stamped the remaining sentiment (from ...hello fresh start). I added some staples and some clear sequin circles to add some sparkle.


I think the white embossed image is my favorite! I tried both colors to see the contrast between the two! Which is your favorite of the two?!?

This next card is also ink smooshed with a background stamp, just a different color pallet! 


The colors I chose for this one are distress inks in wild honey, mustard seed and dried marigold. Same technique as above, smoosh, spritz, dab!! I added the May 2023 background of the month stamp called ...honeycomb chaos. Then die cut the panel with the largest scalloped and rectangle die. I tore the bottom of the panel off and distressed the edges with first vintage photo, then some black soot. 


The stamps are from the April 2020 Whit Kit Grow. Transform. Evolve. My inspiration came from Echo's example that came with the background stamp! I masked and stamped the sentiment in two different places. The banner at the top was cut with the Unity scallops and banners nesting die set. The white part at the bottom was stamped with versamark and embossed with gina k white embossing powder. There was a little bit of embossing powder over-sprinkle (LOL) so I added some embossing pen and more powder to make it a little less obvious! The bees were stamped, colored and then fussy cut and attached with foam adhesive. I wanted to try something new-ish to me and added some Hero Paste, colored with some ink, through a honeycomb die. Not too much, but just a little something on the edge.  Translucent enamel dots from Gina Marie Designs and some bakers and burlap twine finish it off! I absolutely LOVE this one! It's one of those cards you want to keep for yourself! :)


Here are my finished cards all together! Give this technique a try! You will not be disappointed! You'll get inky and messy and it will be a blast!


Thank you so much for visiting with me today! To start the blog hop from the beginning, Crystal is your girl! If you are ready for the next project, Dawn is your girl! Enjoy the hop and I'll see you next time! :)




16 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cards, Jenni! I love ink smooshing!! It's such a fun and relaxing technique! I think the black embossed flowers is my favorite of the first two cards. The black pops! I do love them both though. Your bee card is BEE-utiful! I love the contrast from the ink smooshed background and the black. So perfect! Thanks for sharing your awesome talent with us and welcome to the team! So excited to have you join us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful cards! Ink smooshing is my most used technique! I really love the white heatembossingon the bold pirple background! ๐Ÿ’œ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful projects ๐Ÿ˜ love ink smooshing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, these are all so striking and rich with color. Love how you used ink smooshing so creatively, Jenni.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all your makes!!! Great techniques. Tammy H xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This technique is so much fun, the results are always different!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What gorgeous cards❣️I love the deep purple you achieved with these beauties ๐Ÿ’› (this is Kari B๐Ÿ’•)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful
    Karen Adams

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cards! The white embossed image is my favorite. I love ink smooshing, currently waiting for a few panels to dry. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this technique
    and the awesome
    Designs it creates.
    Beautiful cards.
    Carla from

    ReplyDelete
  11. Again, Jenni, welcome to the team! I always enjoy your creations. These cards are beautiful. The bee card is absolutely stunning. Love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had me at purple ... LOL But I just L*O*V*E the bee card! It is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your ink smooshed backgrounds. I like the white version and the bee card is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful cards and technique! Ink smooshing is my favorite too! Welcome to the team! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jenni, these are fabulous cards and I'm so happy you were invite to the FOU team as I always love seeing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful cards! I love your ink smooshed backgrounds and the images you used! Looking forward to seeing more of your creations!

    ReplyDelete

~ October 2024 Friends of Unity Blog Hop - CASEd It! ~

 Welcome to October! This month's theme is near and dear to my heart....CASEd It! Do you even know how many cards I have screenshot, sav...