Saturday, September 7, 2024

~ September 2024 Friends of Unity Blog Hop ~ Color Challenge!

Here we are...September! Whew that was fast! The Friends of Unity are hopping again! This month is a color challenge! Just in time for all the fall/thanksgiving cards! 
 If you have arrived here from Jane's blog and wanted to start at the beginning.....you can click here to be taken to Crystal's blog!


Living in Florida, doesn't give much of this color pallette during the fall! I am originally from Southeastern Lower Michigan so I have experienced it in my lifetime but definitely missing the beautiful colors, crisp fall air, cider mills this time of year!


Unity Background of the Month August 2024 ...rustic foliage, stamped onto ink blended panel. 


I started with a piece of white cardstock, then blended scattered straw, wild honey, crackling campfire, walnut stain and black soot, around and around blending as I went. This is when I die cut it with the scalloped and stitched edge nesting die. The yellow got a little muddy when I went back in after I had stamped the background on. Sentiment from September 2023 harvest hues stamped in black onto kraft, die cut and mounted with foam adhesive, may arts ribbon burlap string and gina marie designs matte enamel dots.


Next is a completely different look, but similar fall colors.


Image and sentient from August 2024 KOM {thanks in all the things}. 


Started with a piece of white cardstock and stamped the image in black. Then started the coloring with Tim holtz watercolor pencils. I'm new to using these, so some of my colored parts don't really look like I had wanted, but all in all its a thumbs up!


 Spritzed some of the colors all over the panel. I then cut the colored panel with the largest rectangle from the scallops and rectangle nesting dies and then distressed it a bit with a distressing tool. I did ink blend around the edges a bit both before and after the distressing with walnut stain and some vintage photo. I added a white mat so that it popped a little more off the black background (also die cut with the largest scalloped rectangle), then added white bakers twine, clear dew drops.

Next is a card that I created using a background technique from Crystal from a few months back....double background stamping. 


The backgrounds I chose are September 2023 BOM ...off the grid and August 2024 BOM ...rustic foliage. Started with a white piece of cardstock. Stamped the grid using vintage photo. Next the fall foliage was stamped using several different oxides stamped all over to show all the colors! Crackling campfire, wild honey, vintage photo, scattered straw. After die cutting with the scalloped and stitched nesting die, I blended on some black soot along the edges. 


Typically I do not send a bunch of fall cards, so thought I would make this one a birthday card! These colors were perfect to create this monarch butterfly (from April 2020 Whit Kit grow. transform. evolve) which was stamped in black and then colored with Tombow Art Markers and some white uni-ball white gel pen and fussy cut. 


I popped up the top, but glued the bottom to the cardbase.

And last but not least, I created a card based on a card I saw on pinterest. It was an advertisement for Walmart so it did not have a name attached to it, so I cannot give credit.


When I viewed the original, it appeared to be ink smooshing in a few different colors, then a black silhouetted image on top of that. So that's what I went with! Colors are wild honey, scattered straw, walnut stain, tea dye, crackling campfire and black soot. Tree line is from December 2023 Whit Kit (radiant moonlit forest) and the sentiment is from April 2024 KOM {petal post}. 


This somber looking scene didn't feel like a "happy birthday" or a "happy fall," definitely feels like a sympathy card. I am very pleased with how this turned out!



This was midway through.


Thanks so much for visiting! If you've made it this far, congrats!! This was a long one! Next on the hop is Dawn!

Be sure to leave me some love, I am so thankful to hear your feedback! 











 

25 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous! I LOVE all your fall leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing cards, Jennifer! I love your different takes on the color challenge! I think your last card is my absolute favorite though... I love that ink smooshed background! Awesome! Thanks for sharing your awesome talent with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Crystal! I am truly humbled being a Friend of Unity! 😁

      Delete
  3. These cards are all amazing! Well done my friend, YOU captured the ESSENCE of fall wonderfully!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tammy!! Fall is a favorite time!!

      Delete
  4. Fabulous bunch of
    cards, love your first
    one.
    Carla from Arizona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carla! The richness of the first one is what I also love about it!

      Delete
  5. An amazing variety, I particularly like the tree one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Glennis! I’m pretty fond of the tree one too!

      Delete
  6. Your cards are wonderful! I especially like the butterfly one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wilma! Monarch butterflies have been my favorite since I was a kid!!

      Delete
  7. What beautiful cards Jenni. I really love the sympathy card you made. To me it represents the unclear state of mind after the loss of a loved one. Everything about it is spot on for me. I truly enjoy all your creations. You are such an inspiration to us all💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Please share your name so I can thank you properly! The feel of the sympathy card is exactly why I thought it had to be a sympathy card. I love your analogy of the unclear state of mind!

      Delete
  8. I really love the ink smooshing background. Great cards and such wonderful inspiration. Thanks for sharing your talents with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen! It’s definitely a favorite of mine too!!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful Jenni - love the backgrounds you created, love the depth and character.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning!

    Karen adams

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such lovely fall cards Jenni!! Especially the Thanksgiving leaf one! I may try to copy that one!! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa thank you so much!!! I can’t wait to see your version!!!

      Delete
  12. Love the fall colors! Beautiful cards!

    ReplyDelete

{BYSHC} Sketch 49 - Merry & Bright

 We are half way through the month of September.  Plenty of time to get your entry in for sketch 49 at  {BYSHC} . This sketch runs through t...